Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Hallie's Baptism Day

Hallie was baptized on December 21st, 2013.  She is a very spiritually-minded girl and she was so ready for baptism.  She memorized all 13 articles of faith before she was baptized.  She started bearing her testimony in church just shortly before she was baptized.  We had been talking about it and preparing for it for so long, and finally the big day came!




The Merkley group

My family



The Henderson group.  Marla and the Butchers came to the baptism, but they hadn't arrived yet when we took this picture.

Grandma and Papa Henderson

Sweet girl

Hallie's best friend, Freddy Pead

And then it was time for the program.  Hallie was baptized on her own, not in conjunction with the Stake baptism, so we had the meeting in the Primary room with just Hallie's friends and family.  So many people came to support her: Rob's parents and all his sisters and their families were there, as well as my parents and all my siblings.  It's pretty rare that everyone from both sides can make it! Then we had lots of friends come too: The Pead Family, the Halls, the Lemons, the Andersons (Trevin, Steve and Teresa), Cherstin Harris, the Olsons, Kayleigh Lund, even the Morrises made it from Green River, as well as Patty Heaton from the Primary and Brother Goble from the bishopric.

So the entire program was us! Hallie chose what she wanted for the program: we had talks given by both of Hallie's grandmas: my mom spoke on baptism and also gave out little quarter-page papers to everyone so they could write something to Hallie on her baptism day (or draw a picture if they are too young to write).  She did a great job! We saved all the papers and put them in a book for Hallie to always keep as a remembrance of her baptism.  She also has another book called the Baptism Keepsake book, given to her by Grandma Grace (that woman is amazing!).  That is a beautiful book that also immortalizes the events of the day and teaches about the meaning of baptism. 

Hallie sang a solo "When I am Baptized" also known at my house as "I Like to Look for Rainbows".  She wanted to sing all by herself, and she has the sweetest, purest voice you have ever heard.  She did such a great job and she was so sincere and earnest in her performance.  She brought tears to everyone's eyes, especially this proud mama! At the very end, when she sang "I want to be the best I can", she raised her shoulders slightly on the word "best", and smiled.  So sweet! 

Then it was time for the baptism.  It was simple, straightforward, and beautiful.  I couldn't restrain my emotions at seeing my oldest daughter enter into those covenants of happiness.  I know without a doubt that these covenants are not restrictions, they are passages to freedom and the only way to achieve happiness in this life.  I am also particularly grateful for a worthy, righteous, incredible husband who holds the Priesthood and exercises it righteously.  How blessed I am! I thank my God for these marvelous blessings! My heart is warm and overflowing with gratitude. 


After the ordinance, Rob's mom spoke on the Holy Ghost.  She gave Hallie the book she had read in her talk entitled The Holy Ghost is Like a Blanket.  She also gave Hallie a nice fuzzy fleece blanket to remind her of the Holy Ghost.  Hallie still sleeps with it every night.  She is a lucky girl to have two sets of wonderful grandparents!

After the baptism, we all came back to the house for the luncheon, which served about 60 people.  It was a lot of food! It turned out great, though, thanks to lots of helping hands.  I could never have done it alone. 

It was a wonderful program and a wonderful baptism! I would like to thank everyone who helped out in any way, including but not limited to those who ran back to my house for extra garments for Rob or ran to grab towels (since I forgot to bring some--rookie mistake!).  And thanks to everyone who was there to show their love and support for Hallie.  We felt that love. 

 I am so proud of you Hallie-girl! I feel so lucky as a mother to have been sent such a sweet, pure, obedient spirit as you.  I will treasure you always.  I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment