Monday, May 13, 2013

Our New House!


When we moved to the valley, we were planning on building a house on the one-acre lot bordering Rob's parents' house.  We were not even looking at houses here, because there just wasn't much available.  By chance, as Robert was talking to his sister Marla, she mentioned that she wanted to move out here too and Robert offered to look for a house for her.  He found this house online and showed me the pictures of it.  It looked beautiful, and I loved everything about it (from the pictures) except the tung-and-groove pine ceiling.  I do NOT like cabin-type architecture in a house.  In a cabin, sure.  In my house, not so much.  So I thought, sure, show it to Marla, see if she likes it.  So Robert called the realtor, Kelly Bonner, and asked to see the house.  He set up an appointment and asked me if I wanted to come with him to see it.  On a whim, I said "sure," and off we went.  Contrary to my initial impression, when I saw the tung-and-groove pine in person, I absolutely loved it.  Not just liked it or tolerated it.  Loved it.  It is something that I would never in a million years have chosen to do in my house, but I wouldn't change it for the world.





Love those bay windows! There are two: the floor-to-ceiling one, and the one in the dining room. 

The blue room.  We actually made this the nursery, and I wasn't sure at first, but now I love it (even though it's blue, and we sure don't have any sons!)

Main bath

Family room upstairs.  All the carpet is brand new and most of the tile as well.  Basically all the flooring is brand new.  There's also a new roof, new furnace, and new hot water heater.

Storage cubbies under the eaves of the house
The first time we took the kids through the house, their favorite part was the upstairs.  Under all the eaves, there are cabinet doors to access the eave space for extra storage, and they are perfect little kid-sized cubbies.  Great for playing hide-and-seek! There are about 7 or 8 cubbies upstairs and the girls loved them so much that they referred to this house as "the cubby house" or "the house with the cubbies".  Too cute! 
Upstairs shower

Upstairs bath


Girls' bedroom

Girls' bedroom

Our amazing view of the mountains out of our front A-frame window.  One of the things we miss a lot about our Green River house is the amazing view it had, so we are happy to have a view again!

All brand-new appliances in the kitchen.  I have never even dreamed of a kitchen this big.  I honestly don't have enough stuff to fill the cupboards.  Some of them are actually still completely empty!


Painting the fireplace--one of the first things we did.

The master bedroom--after we painted all the nasty old wood paneling white.



So we offered, they countered, blah blah blah, and we came to an agreement.  It took longer than usual to close on the house, with lots and LOTS of paperwork and bank stuff and jumping through hoops.  But finally, we closed on the house on March 27th.  There were a few things that we wanted to paint just to freshen up the look of the house, so we didn't move in right away.  But we were so gosh darn excited about moving in that we camped out at the house almost every night from the day we bought it.  The girls slept on the floor and we slept on an air mattress, and we were happy as could be!

After some painting, we moved into our house over conference weekend, the first weekend in April.  We are still unpacking, and there's no pictures up on the wall, but we're here and it's home!

And the rest is history!!

No comments:

Post a Comment