Friday, March 16, 2012

Nesting

Okay, so I have only had that "nesting" impulse kick in on one of my previous three pregnancies, and that was the last one, when I was pregnant with Evie.  I haven't really felt very nesty at all during this one, more the opposite--tired a lot and unmotivated to move furniture and do anything more than I have to.  But I think my nesting instincts are just delayed a bit, because in the last few days I have been feeling really anxious about getting everything ready for this new little one. 

I am going to have another baby shower--I know, I know...after three girls I should have everything one could possibly need for a girl, right?  Wrong!  Although we have nearly everything we need, many of our things are getting worn out after going through three children.  A lot of our stuff that we currently have was handed down to us as well, meaning it's gone through even more than our three.  Evie is also my dirtiest and most stain-prone child, so lots of things have gotten thrown away after going through her, and some things are just outdated.  Our high chair is cracking and dying, and our baby carseat is over 7 years old, so legally it needs to be replaced.  Also, with a new child, we need a new dresser, and lots of clothes, burp cloths, bibs, etc. are just old and worn out. All our crib sheets have either torn or lost their elasticity, and there are some fun new baby things that they didn't have when I last had a baby, like the carseat canopies and shopping cart covers.  And, as Rob pointed out, I've only ever had one baby shower and it was over 6 years ago, and four kids ago!

Since my baby shower will happen over Easter weekend, I have been online registering for baby stuff at Target and Walmart.  It is really fun to be able to add whatever I want to my registry, and try to tell myself that I will get even half of what I register for!  I think that the registering has made me more nesty as well. 

Unfortunately, since I don't have a dresser to put baby clothes in yet, I can't really get that ready to go.  Nor can I even set up the crib and the baby's room because Robert is still working on finishing the basement, and therefore all the extra space down there (where I would normally put the extra bed that needs to be moved) is a construction zone.  Once the family room down there is done, we can move the computer station downstairs as well, which will clear out a good deal of space in the baby's room.  I am so excited for the family room to be done! It will be so nice to have a place to send the kids to play that isn't the first room that everyone sees when they walk in my house.  And I absolutely cannot wait to move the stinkin' TV out of my front room!!  It's not that I hate the TV, I just hate that it's the first thing that you see when you walk in and it's a huge tube TV monstrosity, so it takes up quite a bit of space.  So, here I am stuck wanting to be all nesty and unable to do so.  Hopefully that instinct doesn't go away when the family room actually is done and all the rearranging becomes possible!

The closer I get to my due date, the more excited I am to have a sweet new baby again!  I was flipping through channels the other day and caught a few minutes of "Baby's First Day" on TLC, and it was so sweet that I started crying!  Parenthood is truly a miracle.  I am just so excited to meet my darling new baby girl.  I am well acquainted with her kicks by this time, and can't wait to get acquainted with the rest of her!

2 comments:

  1. I have been watching the TLC baby shows lately too! I had to start watching them to prepare to give birth again. It kind of makes my body hurt just watching it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hope that you get everything you need for your baby shower! It sounds like you need it! That's why I'm reeeeally hoping that my next one (I'm not pregnant!) is a boy because I have really messy girls and their clothes are starting to look pretty warn. But the boy clothes are still looking good. Although, before we moved, I got rid of most of Grayson's clothes because I was thinking this would be our last one... but now I'm POSITIVE there's one more for us. Maybe two. But yes, Parenthood is SUCH a miracle! Good luck finishing your basement!

    ReplyDelete